Open call: Apprentice Master 23/24
Deadline 7 May 2023 23.59h
Apprentice Master Program
Are you graduating from a Dutch or Belgian art academy?* Apply for our Apprentice Master program.
The Apprentice Master program (A/M) is a program of Kunstpodium T for recently graduated artists. Artists that graduated from art schools in Belgium or the Netherlands over the last two years can participate.
The program is a way to experiment with your art, exhibit and create a new, durable network. Each season around 40 new artists are selected to work in groups of 4 peers: the Apprentices. They are paired with an experienced, renowned artist: the Master. In an equal collaboration, every group goes into an individual track where they can develop their art and talk about their experiences, leading to an exhibition.
At the end of each season, 4 groups are nominated for the Jan Naaijkens Prize. The program is offered at no cost for the participant. Participation is compensated with an exhibition fee.
Read more about participation and applying down below.
* You can also apply if you graduated last year and didn’t apply earlier. Students from German art academies at a reasonable travel distance from Tilburg (for example Düsseldorf or Essen) can also apply.
Every season the program has a guest curator: the yearmaster. This yearmaster helps in the selection and the overall program. This season the program will have two dedicated yearmasters. We invited Vera Gulikers and Jochem Rotteveel. They will focus on how working in a group challenges you to think and work outside of your own box. The collective nature of the program makes you take a closer look at your own practice.
Picture of Vera Gulikers by Miriam van Praag
Interested in applying?
Send us your motivation + portfolio taking into account all the criteria and requirements via email@example.com with subject ‘Application Apprentice Master 2022-2023’ before 7 May 2023! Send files over 30mb via a Wetransfer-link in your application e-mail.
Requirements to participate
The Apprentice Master program is for recent graduates with an autonomous practice. Graduates from studies (BA or MA) from art academies (BE + NL), such as fine arts, design, photography, textile etc. are welcome to apply. What’s most important is your drive to gain experience in the art world, being an active part of our community of fresh new artists and eagerness to develop yourself and your art!
|7 May 2023||Deadline for applying|
|June 2023||Announcement of the selection|
|5 – 8 September 2023||Kick Off week|
|November 2023||Community Day 1|
|Nov. 2023 – July 2024||Group Exposition|
|March 2024||Day of the Young Artist|
|May 2024||Community Day 2|
|September 2024||Jan Naaijkensprize in the Season Highlights Exposition|
What can you gain from the program?
- A vibrant network, a community of young artists, renowned masters and art professionals.
- In-depth feedback on your work.
- The possibility to experiment and develop your artistic practice.
- The opportunity to exhibit.
- Information about the professional and entrepreneurial side of your practise.
- Free participation during the kick-off inspiration week.
- Possibility to win the Jan Naaijkens prize!
What do we expect from you?
Dedication to the program: The more effort you put into the program, the more you can develop your own and each other’s practice and make a better outcome! On average you will spend 2 days per month on the program. We also ask from you:
• Being present in the Kick-Off week in September 2022;
• Availability to install your exhibition the week prior to your opening (and deconstruct the day after);
• Attend as many openings as possible to connect with your peers.
Your portfolio should be send in digitally as one PDF and contain the following:
• Written in English (if you speak Dutch, feel free to add this.)
• Name, address, private email address (no student mail), phone number,
website and/or Instagram link.
• Description of the visual work / artist statement (max. 200 words)
• Approx. 10 images of recent work (with year, proportions, materials and
• A picture of yourself
Specifications for the motivation text:
• What are your goals after graduating?
• What do you wish to gain with the project?
• Why would you like to get a chance to participate in the AMP?
• The first part of the selection procedure will be anonymised. Personal information (plus website and Instagram), and portraits* will be removed before being
reviewed by our team and Yearmaster. This way we can focus on your motivation and quality of your work, and not be guided by any prejudices.
* if the autobiographical is an important aspect of your work, this of course does not apply