Day of the Young Artist: a day dedicated to young talent
Once a year, Kunstpodium T in collaboration with De Pont museum in Tilburg presents the Day of the Young Artist. This day offers an interdisciplinary program in which the dialogue between new artists, art academies and the professional art world are central. What is the artists’ identity, what is his position within the art world and society?
The last edition of the Day of the Young Artist took place on 24 September 2018 in Museum de Pont in Tilburg. Take a look at the pictures on Facebook here or see the program to the right.
Manifest for the Young Artist
At the start of the Day of the Young Artist 2018, Lara Staal read her manifest for the young artist. This text can now be read again on our website.
After a word of welcome by Klaartje Esch, managing director of Kunstpodium T, kicking off the day will be Lara Staal, who will present a manifest of the young artist, in which she will focus on the challenges, needs, strengths, precarities, values and aims of the young artist.
– AUDITORIUM –
* Alternative Academies * – What are alternative learning trajectories that young artists can participate in after finishing their bachelor? And what is the value of these other programs for the future of learning? Dutch Art Institute (DAI), het Instituut and Leo XIII gastatelier will shine a light on this subject. Moderator: Liza Voetman.
* In between resistance and self-organisation * – How do we organise ourselves as artists and what is the benefit of that? Joram Kraaijeveld (Director of Platform BK) will give a lecture on how artists have been improving their position by collective action. The recently introduced guideline for artists fees will function as a lens to look at the value of organising ourselves today to resist unacceptable conditions.
* Grant possibilities for artists * – What kind of funding and interest-free loans can you apply for at the Mondriaan Fund and at Fonds Kwadraat? How can you apply and what are the do’s and don’ts? Carmen Muskee from the Mondriaan Fund and Sophie Dogterom from Fonds Kwadraat will both give a presentation, together with artists Mischa Doorenweerd and Sanne Vaassen.
– MOTLEY CAFE – with Mister Motley and former masters from Apprentice Master project
* Autonomy is Dead * – How do you, as a young artist, deal with collaboration? How important is it to work together with other artists and might collaboration possibly undermine and devalue your own work? And how do you battle loneliness after the academy? In the first round of Mister Motley’s artist’s café, the online art magazine Mister Motley will talk to three contemporary artists about the meaning and the differences between working as an individual and working in a collective. The artists Danielle Lemaire, Menno de Nooijer and Vlaplif will join the conversation.
* The world has become a smaller place * – How do you, as a young artist, gain recognition abroad? Is it important to cross borders with your art and why? What will you learn about the Dutch art scene as soon as your work is seen abroad? In the second round of the artist’s cafe, Mister Motley will talk to the artists Bas van den Hurk, Sema Bekirovic and Agnes Momirski about their experiences abroad.
* A Utopian Future * – What will the art world be like for a young artist, in ten years? Can we imagine a perfect future? What are the fears, dreams, predictions and what do we have to do, to make this utopian future reality? In the third, and last, round of Mister Motley’s artist’s café the artists Niels Post, Wineke Gartz and Ole Nieling will explore the future together, to predict the utopian art world of tomorrow.
– WORKSHOP –
* How can I talk about my work? * – Through this hands-on workshop held by The Artist and the Others you will gain knowledge about how to present your work, a pivotal skill to acquire to develop your professional career. You will focus on finding the best way(s) to present and talk about the core of your artistic practice.
* Towards cultural entrepreneurship * – How do you become a better cultural entrepreneur? Cultuur+Ondernemen will talk about their new publication ‘Route Ondernemerschap’ in which you are guided in 8 steps towards the goal: ‘how to improve your artistic enterprise’.
* Bcademie workshop * – How to bridge the gap between the academy and a professional career as an artist. During this workshop Daan den Houter and Alex Jacobs will give you tools to deal with these challenges.
The day was closed by a talk of Domenique Himmelsbach de Vries and drinks at PARK.
The Day of the Young Artist 2018 was curated by Youri Appelo.