OPEN CALL Apprentice/Master Season 2021/2022
deadline: 31 May 2021 23.59h
Are you graduating from a Dutch or Belgian art academy this summer? Come and develop your art practice! Discover the art world while meeting many new, young and experienced artists.
We invite you to apply for the Apprentice Master project by Kunstpodium T!
Apprentice Master takes place the year following your graduation. The project is a way to experiment with your art, exhibit and create a new, durable network.
But wait, who is Kunstpodium T?
Kunstpodium T is a platform in Tilburg dedicated to the development of talent for starting artists during different stages of their careers. By giving artists the opportunity to talk with peers, experienced experts and exhibit their work, we allow them to grow both artistically and professionally.
… and what is the Apprentice Master project?
Apprentice Master is a project of Kunstpodium T. Each season around 40 newly graduated artists are selected to work in groups of 4 peers: the Apprentices. They are paired with an experienced, renowned artist: the Master. In an equal collaboration, every group goes into an individual track where they can develop their art and talk about their experiences. This leads to an exhibition. At the end of each season, 4 groups are nominated for the Jan Naaijkens Prize. Read more about the project here.
Every year we have a guest curator to help with the selections and program; the ‘Yearmaster’. For the season of 2021/2022 we invited artist Yasser Ballemans as the Yearmaster. His focus for the season will be ‘to give space to imagination, play and generosity. To make materials and ideas your own and to look for things in places that you cannot access. To play with curiosity what leads to shared experiences, and to share generous strategies that make the unimaginable possible.’ Read more about Yasser and his role as Yearmaster here!
Requirements to participate:
The Apprentice Master project is for recent graduates with an autonomous practice. Graduates from studies (BA or MA) from an art academy, such as fine arts, design, photography, textile etc. are welcome to apply. The project takes place in the year following your graduation. What’s most important is your drive to gain experience in the art world, being an active part of our community of fresh new artists and eagerness to develop yourself and your art!
What can you gain from the project?
• A vibrant network, a community of young artists, renowned masters and art professionals
• In-depth feedback on your work
• The possibility to experiment and develop your artistic practice
• The opportunity to exhibit
• Information about the professional and entrepreneurial side of your practise
• Free participation during the kick-off inspiration week
• Possibility to win the Jan Naaijkens prize!
Rough schedule of the Apprentice Master project 2021/2022
- 31 May 2021: Deadline application!
- August 2021: announcement of selection. The selected Apprentices are asked to make a short video presentation about themselves and their work.
- September 2021: Kick-Off week + start group trajectories.
- October 2021: making the exhibition schedule. This will be done with your availability in mind.
- November 2021 – July 2022: groups exhibitions
- August 2022: Jan Naaijkensprize in the Season Highlights exhibition
What do we ask of you during these months?
- Dedication to the project: The more effort you put into the project, the more you can develop your own and each other’s practice and make a better outcome! On average you will spend 2 days per month on the project.
- Being present in the Kick-Off week from 13 to 17 September 2021;
- Availability to install your exhibition the week prior to your opening (and deconstruct the day after);
- Attend as many openings as possible to connect with your peers.
Interested in participating? Please send us your motivation and portfolio including all the criteria below via firstname.lastname@example.org with subject ‘Application Apprentice Master 2021-2022’ before 31 May 2021!
If your files are too big, please use Wetransfer to send an additional email.
Specifications for the portfolio:
The portfolios should be send in digitally as one PDF and contain the following:
- Written in English (if you speak Dutch, feel free to add this.)
- Name, address, private email address (no student mail), telephone number, website and/or Instagram link.
- Description of the visual work / artist statement (max. 200 words)
- Approx. 10 images of recent work (with year, proportions, materials and technology)
- A picture of yourself
- name 3 artists who inspire you
Specifications for the motivation text:
- What are your goals after graduating?
- What do you wish to gain with the project?
- Why would you like to get a chance to participate in the AMP?
The first part of the selection procedure will be anonymised. Personal information (plus website and Instagram), and portraits* will be removed before being reviewed by our team and Yearmaster. This way we can focus on your motivation and quality of your work, and not be guided by any prejudices.
* if the autobiographical is an important aspect of your work, this of course does not apply.
Kunstpodium T endorses the Code of Cultural Diversity and Inclusivity. Kunstpodium T aims to be an accessible and open place for everyone, regardless of background, identity, gender, age, disability and so on. One of our goals is to guarantee equality, diversity and inclusion. We want the selection of Apprentices and Masters to be a reflection of the cultural field and society. Feedback on this matter is always welcome. This is something we are constantly developing!
We are looking forward to your application. Please send it to: email@example.com before 31 May at 23.59h.
Greetings from team Kunstpodium T!
Klaartje Esch, Linda Köke and Yearmaster Yasser Ballemans